What units and how many aircraft were modified with AWADS?

Herkeng130

Any of you guys recalked a SSgt Paul Meyers I believe from the 316th TAW assigned to RAF Mildenhall 1969? He, a crew chief, apparently went whack-job and pretending to do a taxi run at 3am decided to do a solo flight across the Atlantic after his wife sent him a letter. As I understand it, he left from hardstand 28. The base commander contacted the 48th TFW RAF Lakenheath that dispatched a pair of F-100s to talk this guy back. His C-130E 'crashed' off the coast of France but 48th TFW crew chiefs said an AIM-9 was used. Rumor has it SSgt Meyers's spirit hangs around hardstand 28. I worked solo on an APN-147 midnite to 8am blowing random fuses. Swapped mockup, traced wiring and almost used our fuse stock. 8am my relief shows up and system works fine and never repeated this strange behavior. Permanent party guys said it was Meyers but I thought they were pulling my leg until years later I looked this up on the internet and found a book by Martin Caiten 'Ghosts of the Air' and three pages are on Meyers. 

Do y'll recall the 96th Bomb Wing B-52Ds, specifically the 337th heavy Bombardmant Sq? After my first tour active duty I considered transferring to the unit, our host to be a tailgunner. Instead I ETS'd and went to work at NASA. Wish I had extended to get my wings with the same unit commanded by  Curtis Lemay 1943, Regensberg Raid Messerschmidt plant. This raid was a basis for making the 1952 movie 12 O'Clock High with Gregory Peck as General Savage, that was patterned after Lemay and this raid. Wow, to be able to brag was a tail gunner with the 337th!! After grad UofH Clear Lake applied Texas ANG 147th Fighter Interceptor Gp to fly F-4Es and T-33s, but sadly no slots, snif! 

• 4 years later...

I flew as nav on ka/ AWADS out of Pope in 1970s.  Loved that plane.  Deployed CCK/SEA MAY of 72.  Air drop over An Loc in June/July.  Landed one night 0/0 visability with ARA.  Monsoon rain, orbit 2 hrs, at mim fuel declared an emergency,  ground could not paint us, no ILS either.  Had to tell the pilot when to flare.  An exciting time to have ka band radar and do an ARA for real.  Landed about 20 feet rt of center at Ton Son Nut.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2009 at 2:29 PM, GaryRobinson said:

Tiny,

Did you ever get the s*** knocked out of you trying to adjust the centering on one of the IP-268 scopes. I did, three times in a row setting at Cam Rahn Bay. I was cpvered with sweat and told the shop chief I quit for the day my hands were shaking so bad.

Gary Robinson

I know this is old and you may not see it, but yes. I started wrapping F4 tape around my scribe, should have worn a leather glove to hold the scope.