R.I.P. C-130 and Lockheed?

118th AES Retired

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

regarding Dan's last post: Keep in mind that the J was sold to the AF when idiot McPeek was the Chief and Sheila Widnell was SECAF. McPeek believed that all military aircraft could be commercial unless of course it was a fighter and I believe he encouraged LMart to that extent.

Hush

This has been a most entertaining and informative thread.

I thought the proprietary nature of the "J" would be the premature death of the C130, but I suppose that has all been worked out. There are alternatives out there but none the same size and/or with a wider belly for over-sized Army vehicles. I defer to Dan Wilson's essay on having a good mix of airlifters. We need some of each.

Lockheed is a Giant Panda that can only thrive on US Government Bamboo. At least Boeing and Airbus produce some hardware for the private sector, but they sure are trying very hard to mirror Lockgreed's sense of entitlement; the KC-X being the most recent example.

Well guys, it's been a couple of weeks since I've logged on and commented on the original post and follow up comments here.

Let me make it very clear, that as the one who started the thread, "my" intent was never to "bash the C-130". I flew them for twenty years and logged primary time in the A, B, E, H-2, and the J model, as well as a couple of other models along the way. The bird is a good bird. I do have some "issues" with the "J" and I won't go there.

My main focus was on the lack of focus and R&D of Lockheed (or as some are calling it, "Lackheed") over the last quarter century. Basically, when it comes to cargo aircraft, the bottom line is the Lockheed has all its' eggs in one basket with the "J" model.

My point is that I do believe that the Airbus A-400 poses competition to the C-130 as well as the Embrarer KC-390 project. The C-27J is taking "some" of the work away from the C-130 also.

There was a time when America was the world leader in deveopment of all types of military and commercial aircraft. As we have evolved into this so-called "global economy" we've seen more and more of that go overseas.

The bottom line here is that as an investor, and as one who watches this industry closely, I just don't see a lot that impresses me with Lockheed's initiative in the R&D area as to military transports over the past 25 years or so.

I have no problem with Lockheed venturing into other areas, and someday, they may be the world leader in big ole' remote controlled airplanes (UAVs), but I just don't see them surviving as a major manufacturer of military cargo transports when the demand for the "J" runs out or is replaced by other products.

As to the AMP program, let's hope that it survives, but it is hard to run a program like that when the pentagon changes the rules from day to day.

I've enjoyed ALL of the posts and comments thus far and respect the opinions of all who have posted.

How long has it been since they build a trainer or fighter?

Guess you've missed the F-22 Rator?, F-35 Lightning II?, F-2 (Japanese Support Fighter) The T-50(Korean Trainer)?

Lockheed must be doing something right with the J model. Currently there are 95(happens to be the largest back order in the 50+ years of making the thing.) on back order not counting the options.

Why build a new C-5 replacement aircraft, when the current C-5B's are being upgraded to the C-5M Super Galaxy, and looks to keep her in the air till 2040?s

Edited by P3_Super_Bee

The C-5M might be good to go until 2040, but look how long it takes to get a plane from drawing board to flight these days. With nothing in the pipeline it don't take long for 2040 to get here and the need for the next gen heavy lifter to be here. Look at the KC-X program as an example, we have relied on the KC-135 for so long we have worn out and still fighting over the next gen tanker.

As the army intentionally keeps out growing the Herc's capabilities, the herc will be in trouble for meeting tactical airlift needs. Need someone manning the drafting board at Lockheed or they will be in trouble in the not so distant future.

Engine Mike

With nothing in the pipeline it don't take long for 2040 to get here and the need for the next gen heavy lifter to be here.

Engine Mike

You are right here. The P-3 is suffering from this. After the P-7 was canx in the 90's. They waited way to long to come up with a replacement. Now they are having to re-wing the P-3 to get it to the P-8.

The 130 is not going anywhere. It flies into places everyday that the C-17 can not.

Way back around '64, during "Swift Strike 3", we had to zip out of our temp. base at Walnut Ridge, Arkansas to avoid the "enemy" fighters.

We landed along a road in Pocahontas, waited a while, and then blasted off--w/o JATO. Wish my slides hadn't been ruined by Florida heat and humidity.