Tools

tinyclark

For the motorheads, one upgrade you can do (on a standard shift transmission) is dump the cast flywheel and put on an aluminum flywheel.

You wouldn't believe the HUGE difference it is when you dump the 35 pound flywheel and exchange it with a 11 pound aluminum:eek:

Its like INSTANT power, step on the gas and instant whiplash, take you foot off and you smack your head on the steering wheel:cool:

I had one on my last hot rod, japmobile.

It was a 74 260Z, punched out, 280 head, six pack of Weber side drafts, an MSD matched up with Mallory duel point (tuned out to max advance) with a 280 five speed tranny. My first Nip tire burner, and man let me tell you there is a reason the speedo went to 150:D

Some of my other screamers that I wish I still had

65 Impala SS (tore the whole rear cross member out on that one).

68 Fairlane Ranchero with a Cleavland 351 mill and 4 barrel heads

46 CJ2 with a 302 squeezed under the hood

67 Cougar with a 289 (man that was a really sweet ride)

and there were probably another 40 or 50 cars over the years.

As well as four sportster's I have built over the years.

Dan

Here are 3 of my money pits.

A 55 2-door coupe with a 327 engine, 350 Turbo transmission & a Ford 9" rear end.

An 85 Monte Carlo SS with a 350/350.

An 83 Silverado with a 350/350. I bought it new in 1983 in Moran, Texas. As of yesterday, it had 254,394.6 miles on it. It's on its 2nd engine & 3rd transmission.

Don R.

no matter how often I cleaned....whole house smelling like JP-X after a fuel control swap etc........

I know this may sound like a very odd answer - baby lotion. My father had discovered it by accident one day. Being an AGE he was always getting some sort of petroleum product in his clothes and on his body. I think he told me he was fixing something after he came home from work. Needed something to lubricate somthing else with mineral oil or whatever. Did not have mineral oil, did not have baby oil (which is scented mineral oil) but had baby lotion. Discovered that it pulled the fuel/oil/tar whatever from his hands.

I now use baby lotion to pull diesel off my hands after fueling. The cheaper lotions do not work as well as J&J brand name. The trick is to use it like hand cleaner. Slather it on then wipe it off on a towel.

I was in a junkyard in Albuquerque a while ago...

You should have called.

What is in the garage-mahjal in varying states of restoration:

1954 Ford Crestline. My second car and everyday ride until 2001. When the hemp seal on the pumpkin blew. (Yes I said hemp) Everything on the car is original. I am the second owner. Just need to replace that and new battery and good to go.

1951 Buick Sedanette. His dream car. Still runs. Was traded for some work. It was in a backyard in the valley.

1965 International truck.

1966 Chevy pick up. The squirrels seem to keep finding a way in.

1935 Ford Model 51 truck. We got that as a trade for helping a guy clear his property. It is an old forest service truck.

1956 DKW RT250 motorcycle - my project> http://s417.photobucket.com/albums/pp255/FrauleinM/DKW%20RT250/ Do not know what the previous owner did to it. But, the piston was jammed up into the chamber so much that the rod was bent. We got it out by using a pneumatic press.

1974 Toyota Land Cruiser. Dropped a V8 in it.

1976 MGB V8 - this was his engineering masters degree project. It has a Buick Aluminum block V8. To get things to fit under the hood without altering the outward appearance, many things were hand crafted, or modified. Or just flat out removed.

But I helped with the wiring, because I have the smaller hands. :P

th_IM000008.jpg

His most recent acquisition is a little Berkley. Plans for it are to make it into a salt flat racer.