Antennas

SEFEGeorge

have to forgive and old man with failing memory but i've been meaning to ask about the horizontal protrusions on the vertical stab. Are those different VOR antennas since I can't make out the "old" flush mount VORs where they were in my time.

From the looks of it, so many antennas have changed. The VOR, HF, UHF, VHF, FM, ADF, etc. I have a pic shot from above of a bird that has 4 antennas just aft of the center escape hatch. Got it from the gallery. It might be 84404 but I can't be sure. Plus a string of antennas aft of the SKE radome.

The blade horizontal antennas replaced the old VOR antenna. The old antenna was a bit more than flush. During some of the heavy duty ISO inspections (and I'm sure others as well) the old VOR antenna was removed. This 300+ screws per side was actually a box of sort that was inserted from one side and went all the way to the other side of the vert stab. Stripped screws were the norm! The box was removed and flat alum panels were installed with the new blades installed. Awesome TCTO!

One of the major problems of the old box antenna (besides removing and installing, was that it had a copper strip around the outside edge that mated with the aluminum. Not good.

If anyone still has the old antennas, I would get the newer style from AMARG. The panels can be made, but they are a pain in the ass since they are structural members.