Teguchigulpa crash

gizzard

Watchin' some drivel last night about worst airports of ther world, several I been to, and one of them, Tegucigulpa, Hondorus, supposedly had a USAF plane crash there, in, I think, 1996. The video showed what looked for all the world like a Herk vertical stabilizer. The story stated 3 crew died. Knowing how freely and inaccurately Discovery, History, TLC and the like display historical information anymore, I was wonderin' if anybody out there was familiar with it. I was there atleast twice, in 1973, don't recall any particular diffciulty gettin' in, course I had a Ding How crew, but I DO remember the big black container that we hauled in on one of the missions. Dunno what was in it, but a bunch of strangely dressed people took it over once it was unloaded.................

aboard, closed and checked

Giz

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_C-130_Hercules_crashes

April 1, 1997 : C-130H 88-4408, c/n 5161, of the 95th Tactical Airlift Squadron, crashed after overshooting a landing at Toncontín International Airport, Honduras. Three of the ten occupants were killed.

here is the link from before, lots of good info on the event in question:

http://www.herkybirds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1655

• 6 years later...

I had the pleasure of working for Chief Danny Formanski at Pope with the 440th, he was one of the survivors. It is hard to believe anyone would survive. Just a shame all the way around. I remember flying into Aracuora in Columbia many times on wet wing offloads and to see the rushing gorge on approach and takeoff . Ladies was a tough place to land and takeoff in a Herc if the weather was bad as it most often was. Here is in remembrance of those who perished AMEN!