HAPPY DOOLITTLE RAID DAY!!!

C130Hcc

This is a military date I commemorate annually..............

71 years ago today on this date (18 April 1942) 16 B-25's took off from the

deck of the USS Hornet led by Lt. Col Jimmy Doolittle to bomb targets in

Japan. The raid shook the confidence of the Japanese leaders and lifted up

the spirits of the American people at a time when things looked bleak. The

subsequent victory at the Battle of Midway was in part due to the effects of

the Doolittle Raid.

There are only 3 surviving aircrew members of the raid and they will be

meeting today in Florida for their final reunion.

Let us never forget the bravery of the airmen who volunteered for the raid

and the sailors of the task force that made the take-off from the Hornet

possible.

It is sad the three left have voted this will be the last reunion but I understand.

You have to be in awe of those guys. Taking a land based plane off the deck of a rolling flight deck, in a flying gas truck, flying hundreds of miles at low level across open water, very little defensive armament, bombing the Japanese home island with 2 (?) bombs each, then trying to make China in the dark. I watched the show on the Military Channel and watching them take off even made my pucker factor go up even with me sitting in my chair with a cup of coffee. With Doolittle getting the MOH I sure hops that the rest of the crew members received some kind of award close to the MOH, and not just some Good Conduct medal.

Sure would like to say "Thank You" to them all.

Well I got out of the house today and shook hands with some true American Heroes. I had the priveledge of attending the 71st Anniversary Reunion of the Doolittle Raiders at the Air Armorment Musieum at Eglin AFB, Fl. The 4 raiders still alive have decided to make this their last renuion. Three of the four were in attendance: Lt. Col. Richard E. Cole, Co-Pilot Crew 1. Decorations include; Distinguished Flying Cross with 2 OLC, Air Medal with 1 OLC, Bronze Star Medal, Commendation Medal, and Chinese Army, Navy and Air Corp Medal, Class A, 1st Grade. Lt. Col. Edward J Saylor, Co-Pilot, Crew 15. Decorations include; Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Force Commendation Medal, and the Chinese Army, Navy and Air Corp Medal, Class A, 1st Grade. S/SGT David J Thatcher, Co-Pilot, Crew 7. Decorations include; Silver Star, Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medal with 4 OLC, and the Chinese Army, Navy and Air Corp Medal, Class A, 1st Grade.

Facts: Eighty men took part in the raid, five men each in 16 planes. One man died on a bail-out after the mission. Two men drowned as the result of a crash landing in the water off the China coast. Eight men were captured by the Japanese: Three men were executed by firing squad, one died of beri-beri and malunitrition while in prison, and four survived 40 months of prison, most of which was in solitary confinement.

All Raiders received the Distinguished Flying Cross for this mission. Those imprisoned and tortured were also awarded the Purple Heart. Two Raders received the Silver Star for gallantry in the line of duty, 1st Lt. Thomas R. White, MD and Sgt David Thatcher. All Raiders received decorations from the Chinese Government. General Doolittle received the Medal of Honor from President Roosevelt.

It was truely an honor and priveldege to have met these living legends. I am humbled by the experience.