Four horsman

cfisher

I believe that it was NACA/NASA that modified a B model with 2 J-85's suck and blows mounted out board of # 1 & 4 providing BLC/bleed air over the wings in a effort to test lower landing speeds. I believe also that it was retained by NASA/NACA after the test program for many years and flown sporting a non-standard round bulbouse nose.

I'm sure that some more versed prop head will straighten all this out soon. I'm working from an ole memory bank here..

Frank C.

Thud105, if you check further you will see the extra engines Lockheed used on the BLC B model (58-0712) were YT-56-A-6 engines sans the gearbox. AF didn't buy into the proposed new C-130C model with the BLC and it was converted back to a standard B model with wings from a crashed L-100 (sn 4109). And yes you are right about NASA using and owning it for a long time with and without BLC. Landing speed 70 MPH Stall speed 50 MPH. Bill

Edited by Spectre623
more info

Thud105, if you check further you will see the extra engines Lockheed used on the BLC B model (58-0712) were T-56 engines sans the gearbox. AF didn't buy into the supposed new C-130C model with the BLC and it was converted back to a standard B model with wings from a crashed L-100 (sn 4109). And yes you are right about NASA using and owning it for a long time with and without BLC. Bill

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes, that's the bird that I was referring to. I knew that she was a shake & bake of C-130 parts all her life. I guess that the ole memory banks are 50% functional.

I knew that someone would "come to the rescue" with solid data.

Regards

Frank C

When I was at Dyess in 1966-67, I seem to remember seeing a Lockheed pamphlet about a proposed C-130 model (J or K?) - what I remember was that it had an extended landing gear (kinda like the main gear on a Sikorsky H19?) and a drawing that showed the airplane landing in a field full of tree stumps... am I remembering this correctly or is this the first stage of Alzheimer's??