Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


Everything posted by rivars

  1. Today is the anniversary of the Panama invasion, 20 Dec 1989. I had the excellent experience of being #7 in a 14 ship formation of Herc's dropping troops on Rio Hato. We lost #3 to ground fire, and recovered at Howard making a 3 engine approach and landing in formation. Hell of a ride. Then while waiting around base ops for repairs, had a ssgt tell me there was no smoking in the building. I looked at him and said "you have got to be shitting me" and went outside to listen to the gun fire coming from balboa.
  2. outstanding video...great guy..Bob Hope
  3. I was with reed when we flew that puppy out of Kontum on three engines...high pucker factor that day.
  4. when I was at lockbourne in 1st aerial port....rebuilt many a "donkey disk" after the local drops.
  5. I was part of the crew that was sent up to Pope a couple of days later to fly lapes for the AIB.. We were a crew out of little rock and the 50th TAS. we must have flown 4 or 5 sorties with 4 camera's in the plane and several on the ground. I can remeber aborting 2 of the drops because the ground called and said we were too low. The pilot I was with was an excellent lapes jockey and could lay em down low and smooth, didn't even get a tumble out of those m551's we were dropping.
  6. I still have the johne wayne film in iso format and can burn to dvd anytime.
  7. mine only has 50 tas..and is numbered "151"
  8. I remeber once during an ORI out of Little Rock we dropped a tank and it went ass over tea kettle down the strip destroying it. aftwards the Army accused me of stealing a 50 cal from the tank before it was dropped. I told them sure...it was in my wall locker....idiots.
  9. someone sent me a "welcome to CCK" newspaper... I scanned it to pdf. can be read here: http://www.eakerdfc.org/docs/cck-welcome.pdf
  10. can't say I water ski'd cam rahn bay but I have water ski'd the gulf of siam. we used to get ski boats at utapao and go across to a little inlet and ski. after drinking all day on of us bright young fellows would try to ski back to utapao beach.
  11. OBITUARY SUBMITTED BY: Wood Bean Family Memorial Center 2015 N. First Street, Jacksonville, AR Phone: 501-982-3400 James C. Farrar Jacksonville, AR 1934 - 2010 Published: August 18, 2010 James C. Farrar, 76, of Jacksonville, born May 4, 1934, passed away August 11, 2010. He was retired from the US Air Force and a veteran of the Vietnam War. He was a recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross air medal and was the founder of the Ira Eaker Chapter of the Distinguished Flying Cross society. He is survived by his wife, Mary; two daughters, Debra Alexander of Meridian, Miss., and Deanne Walls of Smyrna, Tenn.; five sons, Mike, Steve, Gary, and Jeff all of Murfreesboro Tenn., and Jeremy of Cabot, Ark.; two sisters, Theresa Roseberry of California and Cecilia Simonds of Akron Ohio; and 16 grandchildren and 17 great-grandchildren. Service will be Friday, August 20, 1 p.m. at the Arkansas State Veterans' Cemetery, 1501 W Maryland Ave., North Little Rock, Ark. Sign online guest book at www.woodbeanfh.com. Arrangements by Wood Bean Family Memorial Center, 2620 W Main St., Jacksonville, Ark. (501) 982-3400.
  12. great site with mpg's and jpg's of aircraft crashes and other stupid stuff http://www.micom.net/oops/
  13. Retired TSGT GERALD “GERRY†RICHARD RAY PAULSEN, age 74, of Sherwood, Ark., passed away peacefully at his home on May 21, 2010. He was born March 4, 1936 in Urbana, Ill., to the late Raymond and Betty Paulsen. Gerald was a Vietnam veteran and flew numerous air combat missions into North Vietnam. He retired from the Air Force in 1974 as a flight engineer instructor at LRAFB in Jacksonville. He was a recipient of the Distinguished Flying Cross, Air Medals (First, Second and Third Oak Leaf Clusters) and other decorations. He was a member of First United Methodist Church, Jacksonville, Prime Time Christians Sunday School Class, Distinguished Flying Cross Society, Stray Goose International, VFW, and Moose Lodge. Gerald served as past chairman of the board and other leadership positions in the DFCS and IHPOA. Gerry was a supporter of the Arkansas Regional Organ Recovery Agency, and his wishes to be a donor were able to be carried out. After retiring, his second career was an investment banker. Gerald loved spending time at the home on Greers Ferry Lake with his family, fishing, riding his motorcycle and photographing family, friends and nature. He was a NASCAR fan, especially Mark Martin, and a Razorback fan and enjoyed road trips to see them play. Gerald is survived by his loving wife of 30 years, Linda; daughter, Felicia Racey and sonin-law James of North Little Rock; sons Rory Michael and Gregory Paulsen; brother Don Richard Ray Paulsen and wife Delores of Knox, Ind.; two grandsons, Paul Derrick and Austin Daniel Racey, of North Little Rock, Ark.; his mother-in-law, Merle Seuberth; sisters-in-law and husbands Phyllis and Laddie Barber, Becky and Larry McDaniel; three nephews Scott Hix and wife Corina of Batesville, Ark., Robert Paulsen and Eddie Paulsen, both of Indiana; two nieces, Jennifer Sanchez and husband Javier of Batesville, Ark., and Victoria Belz of Indiana; and his dog Pal. A celebration of Gerald’s life will be held at 1 p.m. Tuesday, May 25, 2010 at the First United Methodist Church of Jacksonville, 220 West Main Street, Jacksonville, Ark. (501)982-8176. Interment with full military honors will follow at the Arkansas State Veterans Cemetery. This evening a gathering of family and friends will be held at 31 Narragansett, Sherwood, Ark., from 5-8 p.m. Memorials to First United Methodist Church Building Fund, Ira Eaker DFCS P.O. Box 6954 Sherwood, Ark. 72124, ARORA 1701 Aldersgate, Ste 4, Little Rock, Ark. 72205 or your favorite charity.
  14. you might want to try...get a list of authorized decorations awarded to you. http://www.amervets.com/201areq.htm
  15. Here is an article from the Little Rock AFB "Air Scoop" written by an maintenance troop JUST-CAUSE INVASION OF PANAMA In the early evening hours of DEC 19, 1989, I stood with several other MAPers (Mobile Aerial Port) beneath the tower of a base to our east and watched as history was about to unfold. We and a relatively small number of others, were to be front row witnesses to the launch of Operation Just Cause. It was a very humbling, yet fulfilling experience, and one that and those that were there will always remember. This article is about those minutes between the formations engine start until the last aircraft disappeared from sight. While we, the crew chiefs, and the 50th Tactical Airlift Squadron aircrews were the only Little Rock witnesses or direct participants, you all had a part. Whether you knew “Just Cause†was about to unfold or not, you were in our thoughts. For without the contributions from our entire base and community family, how could we have ever put such a confident, well trained force in position to perform its mission ? We were only lucky enough to have been there so we owe you a perspective of what happened. As we stood there for long minutes waiting for the heavily laden Herks (C-130) to take off, we had time to look around and burn the scene into our memories. Activities over the previous 22 hours since we had left Little Rock were fast paced with a special sense of priority. Throughout the day, confidence flowed from everywhere across that flightline. Things were remarkably calm with not a minute of panic anywhere. Each person both knew his job and was doing it. I remember the professionalism of maintenance folks trudging from aircraft to aircraft with their heavy tool kits, checking and rechecking each planes condition. The fuels personnel made innumerable trips between the flightline and the supply tanks. Fuel was definitely going to be critical tonight. Our Army and Air Force loading crews visited aircraft after aircraft ensuring all were ready for loading and marshalling those loads of paratroopers and their critical cargo aboard. The paratroopers, the epitome of the light fighter, were definitely ready. Bundled in GI blankets against the cold, they stood on the ramp enthralled with the final words of their commander. Their chaplains came forward and walked into the crowd. The muffled words of the 23rd Psalm rose across the otherwise silent flightline. We all stood with them in silence at their tribute. The aircrews, like matadors, were the last actors to make an appearance that afternoon. How many had tossed in their beds wondering about tonight’s mission yet they all now stood confident before boarding their aircraft. A wave to a squadron buddy ducking aboard the plane next door marked the last minutes before the curtain went up. Now it is dark and overcast. A light fog drifts by as the breeze stiffens. The formation starts engines and taxies to the runway in preparation for departure. The rumble of massed T56 engines beat against your chest. Small knots of crew chiefs, their shoulders drooped with fatigue, gather together watching the navigation lights of their charges merge with the airfield lights. Across the way through the shimmering exhaust of a C-130 we see the emergency flashers of the vans standing by with maintenance specialists. Lights from a K-loader and forklift mark where other Mappers stand by in case we had to shift to a spare aircraft for the attack. All were ready, yet with the formation holding at the runway, nothing moved. The delay seems to take forever, I both hope and hate the thought that the National Command Authority was canceling the mission. Finally the lead aircraft slowly taxies onto the runway. Number two is aggressively right on his heels. The mission is ON. As lead’s throttles come forward that unique characteristic of a propeller grabbing for air turns the mist into a tornado of light around each engine. The sound of a dozen and a half Herks beats against the buildings and off into the dark. Lead releases his brakes, and because of the awesome weight just barely starts to roll. Building speed he disappears down the runway. Just as he breaks ground, number two begins to roll. I now try to count the aircraft to try and figure out which birds are ours so I could whisper individual prayers for the Red Devils, their Pope brethren, and the brave paratroopers. Somehow it seems important to know which aircraft is which but they are moving too fast. I whisper a prayer for them all as an entity. We stand in silence as they leave. As the last C-130 disappears into the clouds, the lonely sound of the engines from the spare aircraft whines like children missing their friends. One by one even they fall back to ground idle and shut down The ramp is quiet. We silently return back down the flightline. We need to work the follow on support missions.
  16. Can't believe it has been 20 years Dec 19th 1989) since the great invasion. I was in on the ranger drop on rio hato in a 15 ship formation #9 bad place to be...here is the pilots after action narrative 19 Jan 90 This will be a narrative of my crew’s performance during the Panama Invasion. I’m not sure what medal they deserve, but I do know without them I would be dead, along with about 50 paratroopers. Crew Members IAC Capt Michael E Schaar AC Dale Banghart CP Phil Pesica NAV Jerry Alvey NAV Scott Brinker ENG Sgt Al Brown ENG Sgt Tim Wilson LM Msgt Rick Ivars LM Amn Phillip DiCarlo The crew flew as #9 in a formation of 15. The weather enroute was marginal; we varied our altitudes and airspeeds during the six hours of night SKE (Station Keeping Equipment) flying to avoid radar detection. The action started at about the 1 minute warning. The weather over Rio Hato was VFR (Visual Flight Rules), so we were able to see the airfield clearly and that the first 2 elements were able to get in untouched. As our leader (#7) passed over the airstrip we began to see the tracers coming up at him, they became more numerous, and by the time #8 was crossing the airfield the sky was lit up. The largest of the tracers was a AAA gun that was firing about 25 -50 feet below #8. Now it was out turn to do the airdrop. The airfield lights were going on and off, but Capt Alvey (NAV) determined that we were in a good position to drop, Capt Banghart visually confirmed with this conclusion. Since my SKE instruments told us we were in position and on altitude I was confident the Rangers would land on their P.I. (Point of Impact). As we passed the coast the sky around my aircraft began to light up with tracer – fire. At approximately “green light†time I got an “Engine Oil Low†light. I determined that all engines were still running satisfactorily, and that I’d keep #4 running until I was forced to shut it down. Shortly after that decision was made, Capt Alvey along with Capt Banghart directed a climb of the aircraft with extreme urgency in their voices. I quickly cross – checked my altitude and determined I was at my pre – briefed altitude, but I started a gradual climb as not to knock the paratroopers down in the back. I was confident they would not direct a change unless it was critical. IT WAS!! While I was busy flying the aircraft and taking care of engine problems, the AAA gun fire had been raised to our altitude, and we were flying right into it. The aircraft made an altitude change of 50 feet, with the assistance of Capt Banghart, who had been visually monitoring the 23mm AAA tracer fire, the 23mm passed 25 feet below the aircraft. The crews actions avoiding the large AAA tracer fire not only saved their own lives, but about 50 Rangers in the back – end that were not yet out. Small arms fire continued throughout the drop, but all the Rangers made it out safely to the fight below. As we turned off the drop zone the engineer informed me #4 engine oil pressure was fluxing. I directed the shutdown of #4 and Capt Banghart and Sgt Wilson accomplished the correct procedures, and ran the emergency checklists. The Loadmasters quickly closed up the paratrooper doors, and we climbed up to the pre – briefed 3000 MSL and headed out to the Pacific. We elected to stay in position since there were many other aircraft in the area and if we deviated we would be in a real danger of a potential mid-air. I intentionally flew 200 feet above the formation, and drifted back 2000 additional feet to avoid the formations vortices. We recovered uneventfully flying a higher glide slope, and landing past the previous aircraft. At the recovery base we received a combat repair and flew back to Little rock. The aircraft had multiple small arms holes, the #4 engine was replaced, and #1 engine received repairs. We were lucky! We had outstanding personnel who worked as a crew. The mission was a success not because of any one individual effort, but because all 8 crewmembers worked together. I’m very proud to have flown with these men.
  17. Thats the one the had the sign "BAR TWAN"
  18. Bar Twan...the half dozen..the Dirty Dozen....71 - 73....brings back fond...fond memories
  19. bullwinkle...ya gotta remeber where you park things
  20. Don't forget 7865, which was awarded a Purple Heart for all the hits it took while sitting on the ramp at Kontum. Then making a three engine departure during a rather nasty motar and rocket attack. I believe this bird was sent to the boneyard for demolition.
  21. Took these once while flying around in-country...
  22. Here are a few pics I found of TNS flighline
  23. rivars

    TSN Puppy

    anybody remember the dog we had at the hootches, also the engineers name in the photo, the guy on the steps is mike dowell.
  24. I know the Jacksonville Military Historical Museum has one down there trying to get the engines off then remove the wings to tow it downtown for a display out in front of the museum
  • Create New...