35th Squadron Party---1968?

Mt.crewchief

Do any of you guys remember the newer modern hotel on the right side of the highway going to town from Naha AB. If I remember right it was pretty close to the Army Base, The Naha Wheel which was on the port? If some of us guys were home on pay-day, we would go to that hotel cafe, and get a delicious Filet Mignon and drinks before heading into town to raise hell and chase the \"local lovelies\"

The steaks we got there were as good as any I have ever eaten since--even the Angus Beef here in Montana! I think a large Filet Mignon with drinks was about $9.00. A lot of money on our pay!!!

Somebody has to remember the name of that hotel.

Ken

In 1970 they remodeled the 21st aircrew barracks they contracted some short time houses for us to live in. I informed the 1st sgt I could not be responsible for my actions if he made me move down there. I think I must have sampled everything on Jacks menu. Don\'t remember the name of the place, but did enjoy drinking beer with the owner and sampling his wife\'s cooking.

Ray

Guys, all of those barracks were the same! I was in the aircrew barracks which was the one that overlooked the baseball field and was just below the gun position. The maintenance barracks was further up the hill from us toward the Airmen\'s Club. I guess they all had a snack bar in the dayroom since we had one too, but we had to go to the flight line snack bar which was on the other side of the road toward the flight line to get the egg burgers. All we had in our snack bar were hot dogs and soup.

• 3 weeks later...

When I was there, from 67-69, we shared the barracks with the 51st. civil engineering squadron! At least thats what i thought it was. I think most of the top floor above us maint. guys was some or all of the 35th loadmasters! I had to do 30 days \"noise free duty\" as a CQ in the barracks, and had to maintain a wake up list for the loadmasters upstairs. I had to answer the phone calls from the girls downtown to their boyfriends. Of course most of the guys no-stay anymore!!!!!

The barracks had a snack-bar run by Michiko, a little tiny local girl. There was a pool table right off the snack-bar, and in the other room going towards the 51st. was a TV room! I don\'t think it got much use as most of the guys were always downtown in Naminoue unless they were in-country with their airplanes! At least I don\'t ever remember watching any TV!!!!

Good old days huh?:ohmy:

I think there was also a barber shop over on the 51st. side!

Ken

If the 35th "loadmasters" were there, they must have moved them. The 6315th Ops Group barracks was down the hill from where the maintenance guys lived and that is where all of the aircrews from all four squadrons lived. It didn't have a courtyard, but had a large day room where the courtyard would have been. I've got a slide of the sign in front of it that was taken around 1969 that someone sent me, showing the squadron insignia for all four squadrons plus 7th Aerial Port.

Sam, I do remember the aircrew barracks down the hill toward the flightline, but I also remember having some kind of aircrew members (enlisted) living upstairs in our barracks! I do remember the wake-up list, and going upstairs and knocking at their doors . One of the guys I had to wake up I remember as being a Jamaican, and he had a wall full of pics of his conquests (local lovelies)! He was quite a ladies man---at least in his own mind! I do think he was a loadmaster, but could have been a flight engineer! This was in the early part of my Naha tour, and I got to know or recognize the flight crews when they flew our airplanes, and I don't remember seeing him again!! Any ideas???

Thanks for your input,

Ken

Ken, do you think it's a possibility you might have pulled CQ in the other barracks? There was a CQ room off of the day room. When I was at Naha, the CQs were all NCOS - at least E-4 over four (that was in the days before they started promoting people to E-5 during their first enlistment.) The 35th had the wing on the second floor upstairs to the right. If I remember correctly, the 21st was below us and the 817th was on the other first floor to the left and the 41st was on the left upstairs. 7th Aerial Port was in one of the wings at the back of the building along with the headquarters people and I think the E Flight ground personnel were back there too. There was a cleaners and tailor outlet at the top of the stairs. There were four wings in the building. I don't recall what they did when maintenance transferred into the squadrons when the 374th TCW as activated, but I don't remember anyone moving into that barracks. The location you're referring to corresponds with the layout in the barracks down the hill.

When I got to Naha the first barracks coming up the hill belonged to the 6315th Ops Group. At that time maintenance was part of the 51st FIW and their barracks were on up the hill past the BEMO armory. The chow hall was on the other side of the road on up the hill below the Airmen's Club. If I'm not mistaken, when the 374th activated, the barracks where maintenance lived transferred to the 374th wing.

No, I pulled CQ just around the corner from my room! There was also a CQ on duty with me from the 51st Civil Engineering Squadron that was on the other side of the barracks.

I am still in contact with my old roommate Gary Levesque, maybe he can shed some light on my questions!

Of course, I may be losing my mind and not even realize it!

Thanks for your input Sam,

Ken

No, I pulled CQ just around the corner from my room! There was also a CQ on duty with me from the 51st Civil Engineering Squadron that was on the other side of the barracks.

I am still in contact with my old roommate Gary Levesque, maybe he can shed some light on my questions!

Of course, I may be losing my mind and not even realize it!

Thanks for your input Sam,

Ken

Ken, you're probably not losing your mind, but you might be starting to suffer from CRS. It's easy to confuse things. I think about something and am convinced it happened a certain way, and then I remember - No, it was that way!

It's certainly possible that they combined the 35th maintenance and aircrews but none of the many Naha people I've been in contact with over the years have mentioned it. At all of the bases I was at, they kept aircrews together in the same quarters and maintenance in theirs. When I was at Clark we lived in the trailers and before I left they did move some or all of the crew chiefs into the trailers with us.

• 3 months later...

What great memorys. Hard to belive they happen so long ago. I got to Naha late 67 and was assigned to the Phase docks , than in 68 when out to the flight line on 56 543 till she went back to the states in early 69 when I headed home too. I remember just about everything you have been talking about. Good times!!!!!

Cliff Ward

I was in Weapons Dept. and worked out at the Torpedo shop on an island connected by a guarded causeway to the flight line. The minemen also had a shop out there. The place was supposed to be haunted by the ghosts of Japanese soldiers. I remember the little geedunk in the barracks. Tomato soup and an egg burger, perfect for the morning hangover. Many of them! 10 cent drinks at the NCO club once a week. What a life, didnt have to clean the room or do the laundry.

• 1 month later...