Flash player problem

gizzard

You guys out there seem to be able to fix everything but the crack of dawn and a broken heart, somaybe you can help me out here. I am NO computer whiz-bang, i can barely start it some days, but I got a hateful virus in my machine couple weeks ago, had to hav eit cleaned. For some reason Flash Player won't run now, i have tried probably ten times at least to down oad it an dget it to run. It goes into my programlist but won't run. The adobe site help is wrothless. i think they wnat ya to just give up. Any idea???

giz

What browser are you using? Try Opera or Firefox, they are much better than IE. Not only are they faster, but they have more security features.

Avira is a pretty good antivirus program, and it is free to download and use.

Once you reply with your browser type I can help you further.

Go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and see what version you have installed. The current version is Adobe Flash Player 10.2.153.1. If a previous version is detected try using this uninstaller: http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_player.exe

Flash player is unsupported if you are using IE 64-bit. I highly recommend you use Opera or Firefox, as IE is targeted by almost all hackers.

Okay, I have done all that multiple times, am using 32 bit IE. Liek I say i can find it installed by looking in the add and remove portion of control panel but it just won't run. There are several different so-called fixes but none have worked.

Now I have heard some good stuff about firefox. I kno wit is a free download and allthat, but if i installed it what all would that affect on my machine, etc that I would need to update??? sorry to be such a pain,but I can see you are much more knowledgable than i am in regards to this stuff. gotta remember I spent my workin' career mainly runnin' into places everybody else was runnin' out of. But I most sincerely appreciate any assistance you can give me

BTW, if ya want to continue this off-site my email is [email protected]

Giz

The uninstaller didn't work? It is probably a file registry issue. I could help you fix it but it gets complicated and a little dangerous if not done properly.

The only thing in Firefox that you would have to update would be Flash; everything else like Java you update normally. Be sure to run Windows Update and download the optional security updates.

Don't post your email in a forum, that's just easy spam bait, although I see you misspelled it (on purpose?) so spambots will probably not pick up the right address.

yup, mispelled on purpose.........now the Flash did uninstall, like it has before and if i go and try to upload flash again, it goes through the process, enters on my system but does not run. Okay I'm gonna try firefox and see what happens. I don't have to uninstall IE or anything, just make it my default browser?

Giz

Darn, Jansen, this is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Talk about a much better system. I will have to take some time to get used to it, and learn the different features, but flash installed and everything. Thanks so much............. Guys, you need to see this if you are still on IE. Many thanks, Giz

Firefox is gonna take a little gettin' used to after all the years of IE, but it is most definitely faster and less hassle. EXCEPT I still cannot get that damn Flash player to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jansen, and everyone else, I finally got Flash installed, through the firefox help site. Dunno what the difference was, but it seems to be working. These Firefox browser is the cat's meow, I think. Thanks again, Jansen

giz

No problem. Glad it worked out.

The key with all new things is to face it head on like a man, rather than fear it and run away like a coward. I love seeing old people who try new things; I once read about how the 85 year old Queen of England uses her Blackberry to keep in touch with her grandkids. That's just inspiring...

I use Firefox and Opera pretty regularly, as I have a 5 monitor setup for work and I use multiple browser instances for each monitor. IE is a memory hog, and always causes crashes, even though I have 16GB of RAM.

For the rest of you guys who are thinking about switching, the process is VERY easy and automated. You just go to the website, download the program, run it, and follow the instructions. Most of the buttons are similar, and there are help files to guide you through more advanced features like tabbed browsing (very useful), cookie management, and automated password entry. Remember, the older your browser, the more security holes there are. If you are using IE 6 or older, it is possible to hack into your system and access your confidential information.

Firefox 4 was just released, although my favourite is still Opera because you can save sessions and it recovers your tabs and windows very well in case of a crash.

No problem. Glad it worked out.

The key with all new things is to face it head on like a man, rather than fear it and run away like a coward. I love seeing old people who try new things; I once read about how the 85 year old Queen of England uses her Blackberry to keep in touch with her grandkids. That's just inspiring...

I use Firefox and Opera pretty regularly, as I have a 5 monitor setup for work and I use multiple browser instances for each monitor. IE is a memory hog, and always causes crashes, even though I have 16GB of RAM.

For the rest of you guys who are thinking about switching, the process is VERY easy and automated. You just go to the website, download the program, run it, and follow the instructions. Most of the buttons are similar, and there are help files to guide you through more advanced features like tabbed browsing (very useful), cookie management, and automated password entry. Remember, the older your browser, the more security holes there are. If you are using IE 6 or older, it is possible to hack into your system and access your confidential information.

Firefox 4 was just released, although my favourite is still Opera because you can save sessions and it recovers your tabs and windows very well in case of a crash.

Are you sayin" I'm old????????????????????????? How dare you, I am NOT old, just advanced in years. Seriously, though, of us with relatively small knowledge of computers can, in fact, be a bit wary. My first computer experience was with an IBM 360, and a PDS1000, I think it was. Then came the Wang desk top computer, that was around "68. I didn't have any further computer experience, until about 98, believe it or not. It is good to know that there are people out there who are willing to give a hand to an OLD person. LOL. Like I always tell some of the young pups I associate with frorm time to time, I may be old, but I KNOW I'll make it to 62, you don't. Truly, the more I play with this firefox, the more I like it. That's sayin' somethin. Thanks again, Jansen, I really do appreciate it!!!!!

Giz