Amazing B-52

Although the Herc is my first love, I find the B-52 a fascinating airplane. I was a crew chief on one for about 6 months at KI Sawyer AFB, Michigan. It was not a maintenance-friendly airplane.

In this month's American Legion magazine, there is an article about the airplane. In it, the author says that "the B-52 is expected to remain in service until at least 2045. That's 93 years after its first flight." He also says "Executives at Boeing ..... have said that the crews that will fly the B-52 into the boneyard haven't been born yet."

That's freekin' amazing!!!

Don R.

Wasn't K.I. was a wonderfual assignment, was stationed there 79 and 80. Talk about snow, they had it. Knew this wasn't going to be an assignment like Hickam, especially when they said I needed a half track license to pick up crew members.

Never saw so much snow in my life. I still have an article from the base paper saying how much snow they had that winter -- 438 inches! Sure made working on the BUFF at midnight in January a challenge. There were still small snow berms on the ramp during the July open house.

Don R.

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...