Now Retired

FLYBOY773

Hey there folks , well after 32 years in the military, yesterday was my last day as a military C-130H Flight Engineer. Just wanted to sayThanks to all the guys out there that have helped me through out my carreer. Now its time for me to start a new chapter in my life. as a civilian. I plan on flying civ herks somewhere. They will never make another bird like the Herk. I truly love the C-130. So you all fly safe out there.

Thanks everybody

Archie

Congrats on the retirement Archie. I'm glad we got to work together, you sure helped me learn the herk and how to be a FE. Both on and more likely, off the airplane. Good luck finding a herk FE job, not too many left.

Mike

"Klattmandu"

Now its time for me to start a new chapter in my life. as a civilian. I plan on flying civ herks somewhere. They will never make another bird like the Herk. I truly love the C-130. So you all fly safe out there.

Thanks everybody

Archie

Archie,

Congratulations on 32 years on the C-130. I'll bet you've seen a lot of changes over the years.

There are not that many commercial Herc jobs out there any more. When I retired in 1985 after 23 years as mainly a C-130 crew chief & FEFE, I went to work in the Sudan as a Herc FE while still in terminal leave. Of course, at that time Southern Air Transport and Transamerica were always hiring. Going from a military outlook to a commercial one was a huge culture shock. Although it's the same basic airframe, the procedures & the mental frame of mind are sooo different. Now, after your monthly guarantee, it's basically no fly -- no pay.

Now, just about the only US Herc operator is Lynden in ANC. Of course, there are also the "dark side" operators like Tepper Aviation or Prescott.

Good luck on your new life.

Don R.