Wartime OPS manual?

Coaster

who would actually do the repairs? well being that we dont have an offical coast guard HERP I really have no clue who would do that work. but im guessing it would be the Flight mechanic. sits behind the pilots and does the preflights and some inflight duties. on the road its his plane. he is also the loadmaster for the plane. so im guessing hes the one that would do some of these tasks in the coast guard. Airforce? the chew chief? i dont know

The ABDR manual does provide several alternative fixes for various things, i.e. leaks holes etc. I remember we actually added procedure during Just Cause. Most of our a/c from Pope came back with AK-47 round damage, anyway we had one that wing into the wing and the foam acted as advertised and slowed the velocity down enough to keep it from penatrating the access panel. Rather than go "in tank" to do the permanent repair, we used a 1/2" drywall molly-bolt cover in "O-Tab" Fuel Cell Putty (aka pig putty) to plug the hole and then covered with the fastener head with sealant (layers of the stuff). Held for several missions with no leaks until we had the time to do the permanent repair. Got to admit, didn't sound like it would work but worked like a champ...someone submitted the AFTO 22 for incorporation in to the TO.

HERP (in the AF) is conducted by the FE.

If they made one for the E and H im sure they made one for the J unless airnav was right and they wouldnt need one for some reason

Well seeing as how the plane is in operation use in the war zones they have to have some kind of guidance for repairs, airstaff or initial cadre should have formulated the procedures for publishing. I bet if you contact one of the J units they can provide you with something, especially if its for "official business".

My only question is who gets dirty making the repairs on the J?

Poor poor load!

Loading the airplane and then trying to fix whats wrong hasn't had a chance to scratch his butt let alone get a form f done or get anything to eat, then the zeros show up from getting their happy meals (without anything for the load) in the base ops snackbar and have the nerve to say "why aren't you ready to go":mad: (sorry if I got a little off topic, I tend to creep all over the place eh:D )

Dan

Now just where in hell are you going to find bamboo in the desert?

way back when a long time ago most of the stuff that would have been in that big black book was info that was carried in our heads and passed on from the day we entered FE school at Sewart. And then picked up from fellow crew and maint folks. Like tieing a string to the ingnition sw in the engine compt and then closing up the cowling. Once the engine started pull the string and cut off the ingition.

Also back in those days we had to have full system knowledge and we FEs also carried a tool bag full of tools. Muff

This is how we trained Marine FE's up till 2006, when VMGRT-253 decommissioned. Now the reserves units train thier own....till they get J's anyway.

Though not strictly on thread, when I was at Keflavik with the F-4Cs and Es, we always had 2 planes on hot alert. If they had to launch it had to to be fast.... the checklist said to button the leading edge and back corners of any access panel used during launch. (Anyone that has worked Phantoms knows McDouglas owned stock in the fastener industry). This was just another example of expedient ops, in this case in a role (ADC Alert) it was never intended to fill.

does the J not go to the desert? Or get shot at? Did they add the ballistic shield around Airforce J's? We didnt get that with our contract. Damn Airforce and their money. So either your being funny or you know something I dont. Either is a possiblitly.

Dan Willson I think your right, I will look for the HERP at work and see if we have an old copy from an H.

Thanks for everyones help. Even your airnav :/

Coaster,

I owe you an apology! After a beer or seven I tend to center my cross-hair's and lift the safety for firing on the J model's. I am very proud of our Coastie's and admire the professionalism/dedication of their duties.

Again, I am sorry for my smart ass comment.....

Kurt

no big deal airnav. Most legacy lovers have the same feelings for the J. I really dont know why? The plane is still a ruged durable C-130. Its just been brought into the 21st century.

And I also appreciate your admiration, we do it for the same reasons as the other branches just a slightly different mission.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I see what your saying. They did get rid of the postions. But they really arent needed. Given the new technology a Nav REALLY isnt needed and the plane does most of the work of the FE. Now the sytem knowledge the FE had would be nice but im sure that kind of thing will come with time.

I think most of the hate is from change. most people hate change. Sh*t changes everyday.

Navs and FEs are going away - true - but pilots better not forget to renew their commercial driver's license either! Y'all hear the one about the new planes that only have a dog and a pilot? The pilot is just there to feed the dog. The dog is there to bite the pilot if he tries to touch the controls!!

Mark

Inertial Nav, GPS, and high speed mission/flight management computers are taking down the Navs.

Higher tech systems with engine FADACs and built in fault/performance analysis capabilities with BITs and BITEs; on board maintenance analyzers, tech data repositories, avionics LRUs with self test and fault displays are slowly taking down FEs.

And for pilots ??? Global Hawk/Predator technology looms in your futures.

Was in Cairo Egypt (sp) in 75 delivering navy divers to demine the canal when a egyptian troop ran a stand into my left aileron knocking a small hole in it--we where not allowed to stay there over night so a trusty tomato juice can, tin snips, fuel tank sealant, and philip screwdriver and a few screws and we were on our way--my pilot Capt Lumpkin got a kick out of the repair but thought it was good enough to buy the beer when we got to Souda Bay that night--always did like him a lot (lol)

• 3 months later...

Navs and FEs are going away - true - but pilots better not forget to renew their commercial driver's license either! Y'all hear the one about the new planes that only have a dog and a pilot? The pilot is just there to feed the dog. The dog is there to bite the pilot if he tries to touch the controls!!

Mark

Mark

That system has been cancelled since the new system now eliminates the dog and is expected to save the AF 250 bucks a year in kibble.

The latest is the ABR delivery system.

After the plane starts engines, takes off, lands, taxi's itself back to parking and shuts down the pilot pushes the big yellow button labeled ABR and gets his banana for being good and not touching anything.

ABR=Automatic Banana Receptacle:D

Dan

We have a war kit above our TO cabinets on every aircraft. It is sealed and accessible only when needed. It has several items in it, but any good FE will carry a APU starter relay and a couple other things in their helmet bag. I know when I deploy I take "scrounge".

• 2 weeks later...