Wartime OPS manual?

Coaster

Someone at work mentioned some kind of Airforce wartime manual. Basicly what things you can do to get the plane going when your getting shot at. An example would be plugging bullet holes in the plane with sharpened bamboo sticks to allow pressurization.

Does anyone know this manual I speek of? Also a J model specific book would be awesome. If anyone has a copy of either an H or J book id love to read through it.

TIA

In SEA, wasn't that covered under plausible deniability?

I recall doing/receiving buddy starts; a three engine take off and a windmill engine start...

I remember leaving Form F's under a rock (all of mine must have blown away...). The only war ops plan that I remember seeing in writing was the EWP max gross take off wt of 175,000 lbs (E); but, going above 155,000 lbs would have to be authorized by someone up the chain of command... I'm pretty sure that there were missions that took off above max gross take off weight on the A, B & E and probably was a contributing cause of some them to crash on take off (one might have been the B model that crashed on takeoff out of Kamh Duc in early May '68)

ok if thats not ringing any bells how about a kit that included jumpers for doing certain tasks?

Guess Ill just have to wait until monday and ask that guy what pub he was talking about. He said it was a very large book about doing certain things to the plane that were only allowed if the shit was hitting the fan.

damn i wish someone knew this pub itll be interesting reading.

AMC C-5's had both an MEL Minimum Equipment Listing and a Battlefield Repair Manual. I remember assisting in updating both for avionics at different times over the years. The MEL was a Major Command document as I recall and the Repair Manual was a Tech order but I don't recall the number right this moment. I imagine C-130's should have something similar. Tiny Clark should know.

coaster, the USAF manual (used to be MACR 55-130) had a section in the FE chapter on how to do some of the emergency repairs and had the instructions on how to use the speed sensitive control jumper (BS plug). It wasn't bamboo used to plug holes. It was different sizes of wood dowel rod sharpened on one end and threaded to screw into wing tank holes to plug them . Scab patches were placed over fuselage holes and fuel cell sealant was used for a pressure seal and then rivited in place.

Edited by Dave in WV

Now just where in hell are you going to find bamboo in the desert?

way back when a long time ago most of the stuff that would have been in that big black book was info that was carried in our heads and passed on from the day we entered FE school at Sewart. And then picked up from fellow crew and maint folks. Like tieing a string to the ingnition sw in the engine compt and then closing up the cowling. Once the engine started pull the string and cut off the ingition. Then there was the time I was at Song Be with a bladder bird. While they were defueling the bladder I was out by the right wing tip having a smoke....I noticed fluid pouring in a stream from the bottom of #4 fuel tank. We had a big hole in the lower skin. I got the ladder out, a rag and broke the broom stick off. The Loadmaster and I wrapped the stick with the rag and with me holding the Load banged the stick into the hole. After we finished the bladder fuel off load we flew back to TSN. The next day maintenance showed me the 50cal round that they found in #4 fuel tank.

The trash can and a blanket could be used to plug a blown out port hole window. As for the small bullet holes and shrapnel holes were never a concern. We ignored them and wrote them up in the 781.

Also back in those days we had to have full system knowledge and we FEs also carried a tool bag full of tools. Also had a full supply of C-Rats in our flight bags, way before MREs were born.

Muff

Edited by Muff Millen

How about ABDR Aircraft Battle Damage Repair. C-5's had a -39 Tech Order. Robins CLSS unit are the pros on aircraft recovery.

C-130.........T.O. 1C-130A-39 ABDR

ABDR is a whole other thing, thats basically large scale repair (or total destruction sometimes).

I think he is looking for HERP, basically its an aircrew thang that tells you what you can boogie with and what you have to do to overide and or temp repair different malfunctions so you can blast off and get the hell out of dodge or hack the mission.

Dan

Someone at work mentioned some kind of Airforce wartime manual. Basicly what things you can do to get the plane going when your getting shot at. An example would be plugging bullet holes in the plane with sharpened bamboo sticks to allow pressurization.

Does anyone know this manual I speek of? Also a J model specific book would be awesome. If anyone has a copy of either an H or J book id love to read through it.

TIA

What? Am I getting this right? A "J model specific" as to what to maintain after a J gets shot? Son.........I don't think a J model will ever has such a publication! Think about it.

Kurt

What? Am I getting this right? A "J model specific" as to what to maintain after a J gets shot? Son.........I don't think a J model will ever has such a publication! Think about it.

Kurt

does the J not go to the desert? Or get shot at? Did they add the ballistic shield around Airforce J's? We didnt get that with our contract. Damn Airforce and their money. So either your being funny or you know something I dont. Either is a possiblitly.

Dan Willson I think your right, I will look for the HERP at work and see if we have an old copy from an H.

Thanks for everyones help. Even your airnav :/

Dan Willson I think your right, I will look for the HERP at work and see if we have an old copy from an H.

I am not too sure how much usable will come from an E or H model pub, all the engine stuff would defiantly would be out of the water, but I have no idea how much electrical, fuel and hydraulic changes the J have from the older planes.

Dan

he did bring up a good point. probably a great thread too "I remember when I had to ____ to get _____ working again" or "RON(remain over night) switches". But theres only so much you can get passed down from the guys you work with. So maybe we can start a thread from past "inginuity fixes". To pass to the few FNGs in the community.

he did bring up a good point. probably a great thread too "I remember when I had to ____ to get _____ working again" or "RON(remain over night) switches". But theres only so much you can get passed down from the guys you work with. So maybe we can start a thread from past "inginuity fixes". To pass to the few FNGs in the community.

Perhaps we should have a thread that says "Despite what I was told, when the ________ does ___________, it is not necessarily a bad ______________________." The old adage that says "when an engine gets older, it does not produce more torque," does not always mean that you have bad thermocouples. I still heat that from engineers, and it is a pain to explain why it is not always true. A collection of similar items from the old guys here would be nice information for a "little black book."

Between electrics, hydraulic, props, engines, and air conditioning. there should be a bunch of them.