Why things are they way they are

polcat

As a -130 pilot, I've noticed some changes that have occured throughout C-130s around the world. One of the things I don't understand is why the position of the upper beacon/strobe was moved to the upper fuselage from the vert. stab? Anybody know why this is? In this position, it is harder to see this beacon/light. On the vert. stab it is much more visible. The funny thing is, certain herks in the USAF have it in on the stab and others have it on the upper fuse? Also, does anyone know the reason for having flashing navigation lights and their real function since we do have a beacon (should be used for running APU/GTC and engines as well as aircraft movement)?

Does anyone have any other questions on why things are they way they are on ther herk?

I think I heard many moons ago that the beacon was moved to the fusalage because too many people got hurt changing bulbs on toop of the stab. Not entirely sure that's the only reason. I've actually seen several aircraft that have both, I found that interesting. Also newer planes still have the mounts for one up there, though not sure if a wiring harness still goes up there.

As for the flashers, I always thought that was a requirement. We mostly use them for ground runs, but I've seen crews use them in air. I always assumed that as some sort of FAA requirement or something. Be something to look up.

You'll then get a kick out of this. Our bottom beacon/strobe tested inop before we (aka the Os) showed up to the plane. I double checked with the FE if we really needed it per the MEL and of course we did. Also, the newer Js have a IR beacon on the top of the vert stab. Furthermore, Marine herks that I've seen have the strobe at the vert stab as well. But you're probably right, it was moved so someone doesn't have to go all the way to the top.

PS I bet anything the wiring is still present in the vert stab...

When we went from rotating beacon atop the vert stab to the strobe on the backbone I was told it was to eleminate the need for a cherry picker to change the bulb or change out the assy which happened a lot. Also the strobe lasts a lot longer than the rotating beacon. The ladder that attaches to the side of the vert fin wasn't very user friendly for servicing the light on the fin....and who even had one? Bill

From what I remember from many moons ago, the nav lights were on flash, on the ground, any time that the engines were running and/or the aircraft was moving. They were put to steady before takeoff, and the anti collision lights was turned on. In flight the flash position of the nav lights was used when anti collision light was inop.

Was always a good "gotcha"/beer question - how many times a minute do the nav lights flash? :confused:

That freaking ladder was a joke almost killed myself on it!!! Its amazing some of the stupid SH$#%^&*(*t we used to do!!!

This would be the same ladder that is supposed to be used to remove and replace the old VOR Antenna. It may not look like it from the ground, but the antenna is about 3'x4'x2'. I don't think it's humanly possible.