Not your Grampa's C-130....

BobCCK

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the simulator in preparation for my "Engine Run". And how much I dreaded the actual test in a real C-130!! Wish I could remember the test pilot's name, he really did a good job of calming us down and getting the certificate!!!!

Edited by tinwhistle

tinwhistle,

I was the same way. Loved the prep but scared to death in the real thing with a real pilot. I also had a real nice pilot who was thorough but at the same time created the perfect atmosphere. There were three of us getting run certified so maybe he wanted to get it over with. Might have been different if I was his only one.

I had forgotten how much I enjoyed the simulator in preparation for my "Engine Run". And how much I dreaded the actual test in a real C-130!! Wish I could remember the test pilot's name, he really did a good job of calming us down and getting the certificate!!!!

Back in '89 (I think) I was in the first engine run class at Pope that did not jump chocks in the real aircraft. I was looking forward to it. When I did my first real live run, as a coincidence the tail # (1262 I think) was the same as the simulators.

--Fenmonster

• 3 months later...

Back in '89 (I think) I was in the first engine run class at Pope that did not jump chocks in the real aircraft. I was looking forward to it. When I did my first real live run, as a coincidence the tail # (1262 I think) was the same as the simulators.

--Fenmonster

Actually, the bird that the two digital Sims at Pope were cloned off of was 1263 - fondly know as "Miss Piggy" by both the AMS Radar and Doppler shops. There was a drawing of Miss Piggy under the plexiglass at the Nav station, but was removed when that plane was taken up to Binghampton, N.Y. so Singer Link folks could document the cockpit to insure accuracy in the Sims. I bet it it was left there, Link would have put a similar drawing at each Nav station on both of the Sims!

I was one of the AAF folks that was involved in the installation and operation of both sims as they were assembled at the factory then shipped to Pope. Named AWADS1 & AWADS2, shortly after they were operational at the base, GE cam in and installed a visual system on AWADS2. With Pope no longer an AF base, I always wondered where those two birds went.

Anyone interested in seeing what AWADS1 looked like at Singer-Link's factory, can go here:

http://www.blueovalcorral.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=11260

There's also pics of the the old analog system it replaced - C-130 Sim # 62180008

Edited by mkupec
Added web link