Foreign C-130

Mt.crewchief

Looking for an answer to a question I have had for many years--since 1970!!!

I was at Naha for a Wing-Tip Light TCTO on 62-1804 from CCK. While I was there waiting for a crew to fly it back to CCK, there was a C-130 parked in the transit area where I was parked, and it had two sets of prop blades on each engine! One set in front of another. I don't remember if they were three bladed or four. The plane was painted a bright brown camo. pattern and I think it was from Australia or somewhere like that! Maybe New Zealand.

There was some insignia on it but I can't remember what it was. If I remember right it was a bird or some kind of animal!

I think I had sobered up from a weeks stay partying with old friends, so I am sure I am not imagining it! Do any of you guys know what I saw, or better yet do you have a pic?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Ken Carlson

Ken,

The only airplane that I can think of that comes close is the Soviet An-22 pictured above, but it's much larger than the C-130. Its wingspan is more than 200 feet. Also back in that time frame (1970), I doubt if a Russian airplane would be sitting on the Naha flightline.

You sure you don't want to reconsider blaming the local adult beverages there? That's always been my excuse.

Don R.

Nope, Sonny, I am going to stick with my story! I would like to blame the local beverages, but I distinctly remember thinking I would go inside the terminal just to see if I could see who was flying such a bird!!!

I almost think there was a brightly painted Dodo Bird or a Kangaroo on the vertical stabilizer!

Then again!!!!!

Ken

• 4 weeks later...

It may have been a Navy Neptune. I did see them on the ramp.

3 blades, 4 blades and 6 blades, (C-130J), but I never heard of two sets of blades. And a Navy Neptune doesn't even look like a C-130, LOL.

On my website you can see a pic of a British C-130 equiped with an A400M engine and 6 bladed propellers, third row, first picture, but it has only one set of blades.

Cheers ! :)

I think I have found a pic of the type of plane that I saw that day, but the one I was looking at was painted like I stated! I saw some full sized pics of this plane but can't remember where I found them! (probably Google images). It looks like a C-130 from the front and side, but the cargo doors open differently! I also can't remember the name of it, but I know I did see something, and it wasn't the beer from the night before!

Could I be right, or was this type of acft. even flying in 69 or 70?

Thanks for putting up with me,

Ken Carlson

http://herkybirds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=96&stc=1&d=1235930343

Does anyone else have a problem here? I just clicked on it again & this is what appears. Maybe Casey has an answer -- or maybe it's just my computer. The message says, "Invalid attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator."

Don R.

Actually the pic that I tried to post was of the AN-70 which has the props like what I saw. BUT, according to Airliners.Net, it's maiden voyage wasn't until 1994 or 1995! I think it was designed in the 70's, but not soon enough for me to have seen one at Naha in 69 or 70!!

What I saw was more the size of a C-130, and had those counter-rotating props! There definitely could have been some more differences, but over-all, I still think my memory can't be that bad!!! I just wish I could find John Chase. He was with me when we went to Naha for that TCTO.

Maybe I drank some of that local beer that came in the 4 or 6 packs tied together with rope!

That was real rot-gut!

Ken Carlson

• 1 month later...

I'll never, never forget opening a cold can of Falstaff at Nha Trang in 1970--turned that baby up for a big gulp, and it came out in lumps, and as sour as puke. Must have come across the Pacific in the belly of a slow freighter.