Combat Talon I aircraft going to Bone Yard

Skip Davenport

I would love to see the Talon flying beyond 2015--but I am truly looking forward to the Combat Talon III. As capable as the Combat Talon is, it will be interesting to see what forty years of combat experience mixed with innovation can come up with.

Hopefully the HQ pukes will stay out of the crewstation working groups way -- Talon II would have been all glass if we would have had our way and "they" won't be stuck with haveing detents but a variable selection down to 100 of 50 ft.

I remember a discussion on some ECM they were building racks for that was already outdated -- the EWO (now a General) came to me and I went to the SPO and was told. I can save "X" many $$$ today putting that system on "you" can pay later for the upgrade! But it made him look good at the time. And MAC bought it!!

And that's just one of the stories!!!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Just had the honor of taking 63-9813 into AMARG yesterday. Saw 2 T-1s still on the working line, as well as the NC-130H. Also saw them towing (94-6705?) a West Virginia bird that had been sandblasted down (all silver/shiny except for the nose), looked like they were taking it to the paint barn for a new coat. Didn't realize they did depot work over there...

I was kind of sad to see all those E's out there, especially when I recognized about half the tail numbers...

Hey Bob M. can you get a couple of shots of NC-130H 65-0979 and send them to me? Mike

No worries Mike, I'm just waiting for it to be moved to where I can get some close ups. A long distance pic from last weekend confirmed the a/c is here at D-M and waiting to be stored along with the 2 MC's here as well.

Bob M

• 4 weeks later...

Skip, anybody told Flame and Dirt Bag about # 7785,she was their favorite? My last flight before retiring was on her from Udon-Thanni to Kadena summer of '94. 10.5 hours on 3 motors. Will never forget bagging a motor while on the boom. Was also on # 567 at Rio-Hato. When, if my memory serves me right, you and Harvey hit the tree and departed with only 3 turning. We spent the rest of the night FARRP, ing the little birds then left without enough gas to get home unless the the tanker was still around. Thankfully the 135 was still hanging around.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I came across this post by accident while searching about 567. Figured I'd give you all an update. I have had the honor of putting 0567 into the Hurbie airpark...my team and I blocked her in after her final flight in May, and have been working to restore her ever since. Put the wings back on today...more work next week to get ready to paint black and green again. Fulton Arms going back on...

Skip, anybody told Flame and Dirt Bag about # 7785,she was their favorite? My last flight before retiring was on her from Udon-Thanni to Kadena summer of '94. 10.5 hours on 3 motors. Will never forget bagging a motor while on the boom. Was also on # 567 at Rio-Hato. When, if my memory serves me right, you and Harvey hit the tree and departed with only 3 turning. We spent the rest of the night FARRP, ing the little birds then left without enough gas to get home unless the the tanker was still around. Thankfully the 135 was still hanging around.

Yep that was me :) -- left all but min crew there to go home with Thigpen -- I remember before we were to taxi up the FARRP crew hadn't got there stuff on board and I told the load to tell them to leave it and stay with it or get abord and go with me. As it turned out they wouldn't have had to walk back if they had stayed :)

• 1 month later...

Reading about the Combat Talons going to the boneyard got me to thinking and reminiscing. Anyone that has set foot on a Herk knows that each one has its own personality. The MC-130Es are no different; each one has a unique and often quirky personality. The MC-130Es also had an attitude. This attitude grew from many years of overuse and abuse. The crews that drove these chariots pushed them to their limits (and beyond) every chance they had, not just for the thrill, but in preparation for what might come next. Many of us have chosen to retire to places that are warm and sunny. I hope the once mighty Talons enjoy their time in the sun. I also hope that all the old Talon crew members stop by the boneyard and visit their old friends.

Sadly, nothing good happens to a majority of aircraft the end up in AMARG. Despite their historical significance to the Herc/SOF world, they will slowly be picked apart and harvested for anything of useful value. Eventually, they will become stripped out, gutted shells like the A-Model Gunships. I had hoped 7785 would have gone to a museum, but it didn't happen. Once a plane rolls through the AMARG gates, it's fate is pretty much sealed...at least for Herc's. Sadly, there are many small air museums around the country that would probably love to have one of these planes for their collections, but getting the word out and making it happen takes a lot of effort, coordination, paperwork and a desire to "do it". Hopefully there's a museum future down the road for the other Talons when they retire in a couple of years, but the pre-coordination has to happen up front. I'd like to see at least one end up in the NMUSAF and one end up in the NASM. Wishful thinking?

Sadly, nothing good happens to a majority of aircraft the end up in AMARG. Despite their historical significance to the Herc/SOF world, they will slowly be picked apart and harvested for anything of useful value. Eventually, they will become stripped out, gutted shells like the A-Model Gunships.

This is a photo Bob Daley sent me a couple of years ago. It was taken at DMA in 2005. The name over the crew entrance door reads "Proud Warrior." Kind of ironic considering the condition it's in. Hopefully, the Talons will get better treatment.

Don R.

Edited by bobdaley

I was the third wipe on 55-046 Proud Warrior (1980-1995), Blocked her out going to the boneyard it was 200 hous short of 20000 flying hours, the FE brought me back the 781 for me as a keep sake. It was a darn good aircraft. then I got 64-0567 or it got me in 1995 and I rode on her back home from Bosie, glade they did not send her to the bone yard to get choped.

• 3 months later...

0567 Hurlburt Field airpark 02 Apr 2011. Apologies - bright midday sun, cheesy camera. Nope, wingtip not over road, but you can wait in the shade at the crosswalk.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2049[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2050[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2051[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2052[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2053[/ATTACH]

The glossy paint takes away from the reality, but I'm glad that they went to the old black and green colors. I heard that they may install recovery yokes on the nose. Does anyone know when the dedication ceremony is sceduled to take place?