The USAF Band Holiday Flash Mob at the National Air and Space

Like Casey, I'm not usually interested in things like that, but it was one of the most enjoyable 6 1/2 minutes I've spent in a long time.

Just curious though. Is that a full time AFSC? That SMSgt's only job in the USAF is to play a harp? No sarcasm intended, but we have airmen doing some extremely hazardous jobs in places like Afghanistan and here's a SMSgt playing a harp at a museum for the same pay. I'll probably take some hits for this post, but, as I said, it's not sarcasm -- just curiosity.

Don R.

I don't know if it is an AFSC but is an MOS in the army.My brother was a band member at West Point.Finished basic and became an E6.Now he rides around on his Harley with a vetrens license plate.Every now and then I really get on him about it.

Like Casey, I'm not usually interested in things like that, but it was one of the most enjoyable 6 1/2 minutes I've spent in a long time.

Just curious though. Is that a full time AFSC? That SMSgt's only job in the USAF is to play a harp? No sarcasm intended, but we have airmen doing some extremely hazardous jobs in places like Afghanistan and here's a SMSgt playing a harp at a museum for the same pay. I'll probably take some hits for this post, but, as I said, it's not sarcasm -- just curiosity.

Don R.

Don, No hits from me. My view was if the afsc doesn't directly generate sorties, what good is it? Case in point, the Sgt. in the Social Actions office.

Yes, I'm afraid it's a full time job with a musicians afsc. In fact, many of the members have degrees in music. Playing in the band is their full time profession. Just like the rest of the air force they're kept very busy and spend a lot of time tdy. And just the like the rest of the air force they are very good. They are asked to preform by numerous organizations both military and civilian.

In my air force career never met a band member until well after I'd retired. And then only when a small group preformed in the town where I live. Having worked at WP AFB attended several functions at which the band performed. Very impressive.

Air force bands are much smaller these days as heavy manpower reductions have taken their toll. At the last reduction the AFMC band took about a 45 manpower cut that reduced it's size to less than 100.

On an unrelated note Bob, the University of Dayton was just awarded a $345,000 on top of a shared $24 million A-10 ASIP/modernization contract. This will allow the aircraft to fly through 2028 and beyond. Surprising development for a bird the air force never wanted from the beginning. I hope this one goes better than AMP/tanker replacement/CSAR acft. replacement.

Finished basic and became an E6..

I forwarded that video to some friends of mine. One replied that yes, it was a full time job. The musicans are recruited from civilian professional orchestras and bypass basic training and tech schools and enter the USAF as NCO's. He also sent me this website.

Bob D. was correct in the number of USAF bands. Much more important that that ugly old Warthog.

Don R.

Click here: Air Force Bands > U.S. Air Force > Fact Sheet Display

There is an opening for an OBOE/UTILITY ENGLISH HORN musician

http://www.bands.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-130829-019.pdf

How much will you get paid?

New recruits who have satisfactorily completed at least 45 semester hours or 67 quarter hours of college credit are awarded the rank of Airmen First Class (E-3 pay grade) after graduating from basic training. Members assigned to a premier band (The USAF Band or The USAF Academy Band) will be awarded the rank of Technical Sergeant or E-6 upon graduation from basic training. In addition to basic pay, members earn a non-taxable basic allowance for housing and basic allowance for sustenance. Pay and allotments increase as tenure and cost-of-living increases.

Basic Training

Q. Does every premier band musician have to go through basic training?

A. Yes, basic training is a requirement for every Air Force musician, enlisted or officer.

Q. What is basic training like? How long is it?

A. Basic Training is an initial 8 1/2-week course at Lackland AFB (San Antonio, TX). While in basic training, you'll learn standard military drill and ceremonies, Air Force history, customs and courtesies, and will participate in daily physical fitness exercises. For more details, go to: http://www.basictraining.af.mil/

Q. Do premier band musicians have a technical school to attend after basic training?

A. No. While in basic training, all enlisted musicians are assigned to the 737th Training Group Drum and Bugle Corps flight for initial skills qualification. After basic training, Airman musicians report directly to their assigned band.

Q. How and when will I know which band I'm assigned to?

A. The band at which you auditioned and are accepted is the band to which you'll be assigned. No diversions.

Wow, " Members assigned to a premier band (The USAF Band or The USAF Academy Band) will be awarded the rank of Technical Sergeant or E-6 upon graduation from basic training". I guess that explains so many young senior NCO's. To Bad someone having a A&P certificate couldn't be a E-6 crew chief out of basic training. maybe I just have a grudge that I had to earn my stripes (and actualy re-earn one, oops) the hard way with work and time.