• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Y\'all.

New member here. Just posting to the \'check in\' section to do the right thing.

Figured I\'d introduce myself as a new member to the Herc forum.

Background: I\'m a former Marine. late \'80s early \'90s. Never got a chance to serve active on a Herc. Plenty of time on the ground and in helos, though.

My Pops and my Brother, however, were the real Herc deal. Which brings me to this forum.

Pops was Air Force (\'51 - \'59) and worked avionics for his term. He was introduced then (and fell in love with the C-130 you all know). He later worked on and in Hercs for the Marine Corps (DaNang \'67 - \'69) and later flew around the world in a Peruvian Herc (an L100-30) in the early \'70s.

My Brother was Air Force special forces and spent classified hours and a few missions in the belly of a Herc for much of the early \'80s (Central America).

In my youth, I spent many an hour inside the hull of a Herc and was even allowed to \'grab the wheel\' during a flight.

Special memories all.

The C-130 is the greatest plane ever made. Bar none.

Anyway, I\'m on some personal factfinding missions of my own in regard to certain craft, missions and personnel, all centering around the C-130. Notably, the Peruvian Herc that went down a few years after my Pops disembarked. I\'ve got some photos with the tail numbers and am looking for some more info.

More importantly, I\'m pleased to make your web-acquaintance and give honor to you all who served aboard or otherwise had some close encounters with the C-130 we know and love.

-Grant